It used to be that bathrooms were simple, utilitarian spaces. Not so anymore! Today, bathroom design trends lean toward creating a relaxing and luxurious place to start and end your day. Homeowners are remodeling bathrooms to remind them of their favorite hotels and they want the same type of amenities at home. Current bathroom design trends entice the homeowner to spend more time in the space – whether its relaxing in a steam bath or getting ready while listening to your iPod or watching TV.
Here are today’s top ten bathroom design trends:
1. Large showers with glass doors. Big, airy showers with rain heads and lots of body sprays are all the rage. Many times, showers are outfitted for two bathers. When space is an issue, homeowners are giving up their tub to make more space for a luxurious shower.
2. Soaking tubs. Jacuzzi tubs used to be incredibly popular, but now homeowners are opting for soaking tubs without all the surrounds that make getting in and out so tough.
3. Steam baths. Why go to the spa or the gym to take a steam bath when you can head up to your master bedroom?
4. Private toilets. Creating a small room within the bathroom for the toilet allows the bathroom to be used by more than one person at a time.
5. Entertainment outlets. Just like your favorite hotel, you can have a flat screen television situated behind the vanity mirror. Or, if you prefer to listen to music, you can outfit your shower or bathroom space with an audio system.
6. Layered lighting. A combination of functional and ambient lighting has become very popular. The combination of sconces at your vanity for functional, a decorative chandelier for ambient, and windows for natural light create the perfect mix of layered lighting.
7. Statement tile. Tile has been a style in bathrooms for quite some time, but the variety of options continues to build. New wood and stone printed porcelain, and graphic prints are becoming popular. Even tiling the entire room, walls and all is becoming a trend.
8. Vanities with storage. Vanities offering drawers and under sink storage are very popular. Incorporating a tower with drawers and cabinet space allows storage of linens and other necessities.
9. Spa amenities. Homeowners can add luxury without breaking the bank. Amenities such as heated towel warmers, backlit mirrors, and chromotherapy LED showerheads make you feel like you are at a five star hotel or spa.
10. Low flow/dual flush toilets. The most popular green trend in bathrooms is to install one of these water efficient toilets.
Are you considering a bathroom remodel? We’d love to help you create a space that you love! Call us today to discuss your project at 616.942.1866.